The team at Batteries News has reported that a Tesla ‘spontaneously’ caught fire on a freeway in California last weekend.

According to fire officials, the Tesla electric car was travelling along the freeway when the “sudden combustion occurred”. They added that “nothing unusual” had happened prior to the fire breaking out in the Tesla’s battery compartment. When firefighters arrived at the scene, the electric vehicle was completely engulfed in flames.

“We’re only a few weeks into 2023 and yet another report of an electric vehicle fire, potentially due to a faulty of damaged lithium-ion battery,” comments Matt Butcher, sales & marketing manager at Prosol UK.

“Thankfully no one was hurt in the incident but it, once again, underlines that there are still many ‘unknowns’ when it comes to when it comes to electric vehicle battery fires. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why we continue to see a rise in enquiries for our Fire Cloak Electric Vehicle Fire Blanket. It’s an essential piece of equipment for providing peace of mind for anyone who owns or works alongside electric vehicles.”